Wednesday 16 July 2008

Google "Lively" is a reality

As you will notice in the right column of my blog I have a new image. This is a virtual room I created for Persona's office (the company I work for). I wanted to test a virtual room myself before commending on the new Google’s application called "Lively". A lot of bloggers write that is Google's new attempt to copy "Second Life" 3-D world. Some others advocate is not so sophisticate as "Second Life" and its only purpose is to bring people together in 3-D virtual chat rooms.


My first impression is not that good as the application is still on beta stage so I had some navigation issues while trying to design my room. I was annoyed by the fact that I had to sign in whenever I had to navigate out of my room and go back in. Nevertheless, I really like the fact that you can upload videos from "you tube" on screens that you add in the room (picture 2) and I like the idea that you can customise your own avatar which again is not something new (picture 2). Furthermore, I like the idea that you can navigate on others public rooms (picture 3).


However in terms of how you customise the room is still in a 2-D environment so I guess I would be interested to see how Google will develop this new application and sure it would be nicer to see if the avatars would be able in the future to customise their rooms inside a 3-D environment rather that having a 2-D vertical menu bar on the left.

So what do you think about it? Visit Persona’s room to tell me your opinion. You only need a gmail account.

picture 1

picture 2

picture 3




No comments: